And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.
Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
In The Likeness of Jesus – CH Spurgeon
“And they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.”
A Christian should be a striking likeness of Jesus Christ. You have read lives of Christ, beautifully and eloquently written. But the best life of Christ is His living biography, written out in the words and actions of His people.
If we were what we profess to be, and what we should be, we should be pictures of Christ; yea, such striking likenesses of Him, that the world would not have to hold us up by the hour together, and say, “Well, it seems somewhat of a likeness;” but they would, when they once beheld us, exclaim, “He has been with Jesus; he has been taught of him; he is like Him; he has caught the very idea of the holy Man of Nazareth, and he works it out in his life and every-day actions.”
A Christian should be like Christ in his boldness. Never blush to own your religion. Your profession will never disgrace you: take care you never disgrace that. Be like Jesus, very valiant for your God. Imitate Him in your loving spirit. Think kindly, speak kindly, and do kindly, that men may say of you, “He has been with Jesus.”
Imitate Jesus in His holiness. Was He zealous for His Master? So be you; ever go about doing good. Let not time be wasted: it is too precious. Was He self-denying, never looking to His own interest? Be the same. Was He devout? Be you fervent in your prayers. Had He deference to his Father’s will? So submit yourselves to Him. Was he patient? So learn to endure.
And best of all, as the highest portraiture of Jesus, try to forgive your enemies, as He did; and let those sublime words of your Master, “Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do,” always ring in your ears. Forgive, as you hope to be forgiven. Heap coals of fire on the head of your foe by your kindness to Him. Good for evil, recollect, is godlike. Be godlike, then; and in all ways and by all means, so live that all may say of you, “He has been with Jesus.”
COVID-19 Crisis Prayer – Pastor Mike
Crisis Prayer Topic: Bless the LORD
Today is the day to bless the LORD. This psalm of David lists numerous reasons and ways for which we can bless the LORD.
“Bless the LORD, O my soul; and all that is in me, bless His holy name” Psalm 103: 1
Let us bless the LORD:
· And forget not His benefits
· Who forgives all your iniquities
· Who heals all your diseases
· Who redeems your life from destruction
· Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies
· Who satisfies your mouth with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s
· Who executes righteousness and justice for all who are oppressed
· Who makes His ways known to us
· Who is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in mercy
· Who has not dealt with us according to our iniquities
· Whose mercy is great to those who fear Him
· Who has removed our transgressions from us as far as the east is from the west
· Who pities us as a father pities his children
· Who knows we are but dust
· Whose mercy is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear Him
· Who has established His throne in heaven and His kingdom rules over all
Bless the LORD, O my soul…